As the temperature turns up, time on the range can translate to long hours in the sun. Thankfully the Summerweight Tactical Shorts by Propper can help keep you cool, while still giving you the flexibility for training. The additional pocket storage, and fabric design of the shorts help ensure that no matter how much you carry with you, you will still remain cool and comfortable.
Initially introduced circa in 2015, the Summerweight Tactical Shorts feature 11 overall pockets on an athletic-fit style short with an 11″ inseam. The material itself consists of a UPF 50 fabric, blended to a 94% nylon / 6% spandex ripstop that keeps the shorts light, and maintains moisture-wicking breathability.
At the waist, the Summerweight Tactical Shorts have a rigid waistband, and sit straight through the hip and thigh. The six, 1.5″ belt loops (four in the front, two on the back) coincide with an extended oversized button, and YKK zippered fly. The added gusseted crotch adds to the flexibility and movement.
On the leg are two flap-closure thigh pockets (one each side) secured with hook-and-loop, and with mesh lining. Above the thigh pockets are two YKK zippered pockets (one each side) to mid-thigh also with mesh lining. Each front pocket has re-enforced knife lining on the edge, and a partial mesh lining. The shorts also have two hook-and-loop secured watch pockets.
On the back are two YKK zippered rear pockets with a mesh lining, and a bonus concealed pocket between the two back belt loops wide enough to fit a spare AR magazine, notebook, or wallet.
The Summerweight Tactical Shorts come in sizes 28″ waist to 56″ and the listed colors include: Alloy (featured in review), Black, Khaki, LAPD Navy, and Olive.
Product Evaluation Scores:
- Cost – Good (4/5): At $39.99 the Propper Summerweight Tactical Shorts continue the line of cost-effective clothing the company has been marketing with their EdgeTec products. Given that the clothing comes in a ripstop weave that will extend the longevity of the clothing, the shorts are very well priced in comparison to other tactical shorts on the current market.
- Comfort – Excellent (5/5): Amazingly breathable! The lightweight materials and the mesh lining not only keep the overall weight of the shorts to a minimum, but enable very good breathability amid high temperatures. During testing, the only mistake made was not using sunscreen because the shorts allowed the shooter to remain cool despite stressors and heat.
- Durability – Good (4/5): Despite the lightweight materials and ripstop design, the durability of the Tactical Shorts isn’t in question. No loose thread were found and the shorts have re-enforced stitching in high-stress areas. The YKK zippers felt smooth and didn’t hang up during opening//closing so it is likely the only risk to the durability will come from genuine hard use over time. I would have liked to see a little more re-enforcement to the belt loops or waistline given that you can store a lot of items in all the various pockets and you’d need a sturdy belt to help secure it.
- Functionality – Excellent (5/5): Legitimately, with 11 pockets (including a concealed pocket that fits a backup AR mag) you would be hard-pressed to find tactical shorts that could compare.
- Weight – Good (4/5): At 4.2 oz. the lightweight materials and design translate to shorts that don’t feel heavy or pull at the waistline after an extended time worn, even with loaded pockets. With the summer months approaching, if shooters are looking for lightweight tactical shorts that will help ensure they stay cool, these would defiantly do it.
Overall Rating – Very Good (22/25)
I am reviewing this product as a courtesy to the manufacturer and via STL Shooting Enthusiasts, so that I can evaluate it and provide my honest feedback. I am not bound by any written, verbal, or implied contract to give positive reviews. All views are my own, and based off my personal experience with the product.
The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author. The views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the administrative staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.