Introduced in 2019 at SHOT Show, the EdgeTec clothing line by Propper Apparel is designed for professional and civilian use, and offers weather resistance and comfort in a low-cost option.
The EdgeTec pants come in three different styles to meet different needs: slick, tactical, and EMS. The “slick” pants are intended to give the wearer a low-profile appearance while still offering the necessary coverage, flexibility, and storage. Constructed of a 4.7oz polyester ripstop, the material will offer a large degree of abrasion and water resistance be it on the job, at the range, or just as an every-day wear.
At the waist, the EdgeTec slick pants have seven 1.5” wide belt loops (four on the front, three on the back) with an elastic slide adjuster on both sides that adds for an extra 2” in the waist line to both sides. Inside the waistline the EdgeTec has two beads of silicone that run the entire length and act as a shirt stopper.
The cut of the EdgeTec slick pants offer a wide pant-leg from hip to ankle that maximizes maneuverability. It also has the standard four-pocket layout at the waist, with the front pockets having a re-enforced lining that accommodates for clip-items (such as a pocket knife or flashlight). In addition, there is a 4” wide low-profile pocket on the right thigh that will fit most modern smartphones.
Product Evaluation Scores:
- Cost – Average (3/5): At $29.99 the EdgeTec line is meant to represent a balanced blend of no-frills, budget friendly tactical clothing. Its slick pants achieve that with design simplicity, while still providing a low-profile tactical pant. In comparison to the rest of the market, the price point of the EdgeTec slick pants is comparable.
- Comfort – Excellent (5/5): Given its 100% polyester, the slick pants are amazingly light and comfortable. An added plus is they are also very breathable, which will be of great benefit in hot climates or the summer months here in the Midwest. The elastic slide adjusters on the waist are a proven plus with any tactical pants.
- Durability – Good (4/5): While in a ripstop weave pattern that will improve longevity of the pants overall, it has been my past experience that the silicone bead on the inside waistband will be the first point of failure if proper cleaning instructions are not adhered to. Propper maintains that while this has never been an issue, you should take care to clean the clothing per instructions. Otherwise the silicone provided good retention of the shirt regardless of prone, kneeling, or standing.
- Functionality – Good (4/5): Functionally the slick pants accomplish exactly what they are intended to be, a low-budget tactical pant. With plenty of room in the leg, groin, and waist, the polyester fabric easily repels liquids (such as rain) to a point. There is no gusset in the groin, nor means of securing the rear pockets. I would recommend that consumers consider ordering at, or one size below, their actual pant sizes as Propper seems to run a little on the plus side in measurement. I physically have a 36” inseam, but prefer a 38” to allot for boots and extra leg room when kneeling or other leg movement. In these pants that was unnecessary, and there is a little excessive length in the back of the leg when standing.
- Weight – Excellent (5/5): Its polyester construction means that overall the pants feel amazingly light, even when saturated with water. Persons needing that ultra-light performance wear would be well served with this material.
Overall Rating – Very Good (21/25)
Product Link: https://www.propper.com/spotlight/edgetec/propper-mens-edgetec-slick-pant.html
I am reviewing this product as a courtesy to the manufacturer and via STL Shooting Enthusiasts, so that I can evaluate it and provide my honest feedback. I am not bound by any written, verbal, or implied contract to give positive reviews. All views are my own, and based off my personal experience with the product.
The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author. The views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the administrative staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.