During the summer months, time spent on the rage in competition or training can get hot. The Eco Tec Tac T-shirt by TRU-SPEC® provides a lightweight base layer shirt, using a unique blend of recycled materials that is also environmentally friendly.
Debuted at 2019 SHOT Show, the Eco Tec T-shirt is made from a material called REPREVE® (a polyester blend using recycled plastics), and provides the wearer with a base layer shirt and improved airflow through a mesh gusset along the underarms and sides.
At the neck, the Eco Tec T-shirt has a ribbed crewneck collar to ensure a comfortable fit.
Both sleeves feature a single pen slot that is easily accessible and provides for a place to keep writing aids, pen lights or other similar items.
At the bottom, the hem of the shirt is a split-tail design with extended coverage on the back to prevent pulling when bent over or stretching.
The overall material for the Eco Tec T-shirt is the same four-way stretch material found in other TRU-SPEC 24-7 Series® clothing items, and offers microbial and moisture wicking properties to help keep the wearer cool. The Eco Tec T-shirt is rated to provide 30+ UV protection.
Available in Silver Tan (featured), Black, Navy, Steel Gray, or Ranger Green the Eco Tec Tac comes in sizes between Small and 4XL.
Product Evaluation Scores:
- Cost – Good (4/5): At an MSRP of $22.95, the Eco Tec Tac T-shirt is one of several shirts in the 24-7 Series® product line and part of TRU-SPEC’s base layered clothing. Other market alternatives for range t-shirts include 5.11’s Range Ready Performance Shirt ($19.49), Ronin Tactics “Alpha” Shirt ($31), or Velocity Systems BOSS Rugby Shirt ($59). Price for range t-shirts are largely driven by design and material, thus the Eco Tec T-shirt provides a simplified and effective shirt that gives the wearer comfort and breathability at a very affordable cost.
- Comfort – Good (4/5): The Eco Tec T-shirt had a great deal of breathability. The airflow across the shoulders and upper back were immediately notable due to the shirt’s four-way stretch material and mesh gusset. The difference in comparison to a regular cotton t-shirt was apparent as the Eco’s lightweight material felt more flexible, and offered improved moisture wicking (although not completely wicking on an 85-degree day with 60% humidity) over cotton.
- Durability – Average (3/5): While the Eco Tec T-shirt’s four-way material is light and breathable, it had the same level of durability as other range shirts. The polyester would provide some level of durability when worn with other gear, but when pressed against (female) hook-and-loop, the fabric would snag/pull slightly. It’s likely that over time and with sufficient heavy wear/abrasion the Eco Tec T-shirt will likely need to be replaced, but this is common among most shirts for range use.
- Functionality – Good (4/5): While the Eco Tec T-shirt was intended as a base layer t-shirt, and its REPREVE material does provide from some feel-good intentions in its recycled polyester, the shirt provided improvements over other performance t-shirts with its ability to hold pens at an accessible position (forward of the shoulder), and consideration to prevent pulling via its split-tail. Other market alternatives either lack these considerations, or over-invest the shirt’s design in other elements (like sleeve pockets or uniform material on the sleeves).
- Weight – Average (3/5): At a mere 8 ounces, the Eco Tec T-shirt had a similar weight to those of other range or cotton shirts. The REPREVE polyester and weave pattern afforded the shirt to be light and breathable while not making the overall fabric excessively heavy.
Overall Rating – Above Average (18/25)
Product Link: https://www.truspec.com/24-7-series/shirts/mens-eco-tec-tac-t-shirt
I am reviewing this product as a courtesy to the manufacturer and via STL Shooting Enthusiasts, so that I can evaluate it and provide my honest feedback. I am not bound by any written, verbal, or implied contract to give positive reviews. All views are my own, and based off my personal experience with the product.
The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author. The views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the administrative staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.