Released in 2018, the 24-7 Series®, 24-7 Xpedition® Pants by TRU-SPEC® are one of 12 variants in that line of tactical trousers. With all the features and flexibility into these pants, users will be ready for any environment be it the range or field.
Constructed from a polyester/cotton blend in a rip-stop weave pattern, the principle fabric in the Xpedition pants are also dipped in a DWR water repellent. Accents on the pants are a 91% nylon, 9% spandex, and double weave for added flexibilty and breathability.
At the waist, the Xpedition pants have six 2” wide belt loops (two on the front, four on the back) with a comfort-fit slide waistband that adds an extra 2” overall to the waistline. Both front belt loops feature a small carabiner loop to hang keys or clip. The cut of the Xpedition pant is a straight hip-to-ankle, with articulation designed into the knees to match the natural movement range of the body. The two front pockets are a deep slash pattern with reinforcement to the bottom edge for carrying EDC items or items with retention clips. The rear pockets consist of a flap pocket on the left side and secured via snap button, and a zipper-secured pocket on the right. The Xpedition pant have a French-style fly with double button and YKK zipper for added security.
Mid-thigh features two cargo pockets made of the elastic accent material, inside which is a D-ring to hang keys and thereby prevent them from balling up at the bottom of the pocket, with both secured by a hidden snap button. Behind the right cargo pocket is a DropN pocket intended to accommodate most modern smartphones (even in a hardcase), and behind the left is a zipper-secured pocket for added security. The outside-facing edge to both cargo pockets feature zippered mesh ventilation material, a feature that repeats at the calf and overall adds to airflow within the Xpedition pant.
More added features include a large gusset in the groin for range of motion, and at the pant cuff an added band of nylon webbing for added strength and durability while wearing duty boots. Lastly, each cuff features adjustment snaps with boot hooks to ensure the overall length of the pant does not ride up or down.
The Xpedition pants come in nine colors including OD Green/Black (featured), Khaki, Navy, Black/Charcoal, Multicam/Coyote, and more. Its sizing runs from 28” – 44” waistlines with a 30”, 32”, or 34” inseam, or 34” – 40” waistlines with a 36” inseam.
Product Evaluation Scores:
- Cost – Good (4/5): With an MSRP of $116.95, one can often find sales for these pants down to even $95 making them extremely affordable for all the features, design, and material. Given the applicable range of tactical pants out there, from Crye Precision to custom manufacturers, TRU-SPEC® offers a great deal on these well-designed trousers.
- Comfort – Excellent (5/5): For moderate to high-temperature environments, the Xpedition pants offer a great deal of breathability and comfort. This is in large part to the four-directional accent material that not only aids in moisture control, but airflow regardless of position. Obviously, these pants were not designed for cold-weather, but that’s not to say you couldn’t just dress in layers and still take advantage of the Xpedition’s flexible material. The elastic waistband material ensures that regardless of changes to waistline, you will still find a comfortable fit. It should be noted for the consumer, the Xpedition pant runs on the long side of inseam measurement, and TRU-SPEC® confirmed this is on purpose so as to accommodate for rise in the pant while taking a knee or wearing boots, so the buyer need not add to their current inseam length when ordering.
- Durability – Good (4/5): While TRU-SPEC® does not list the denier rating of the material in the Xpedition pants, the 6.5-ounce polyester/cotton blend used is among some of the industry standard for tactical clothing, and offers a balance between abrasion resistance and flexibility. The added rip-stop pattern used to weave that material ensures that if any damage does occur, it does not compromise the overall garment. Added reinforcement stitching and nylon in high-use areas, like the pant cuff and gusset, will ensure longevity.
- Functionality – Excellent (5/5): I couldn’t imagine more functionality in a pair of pants, shy of changing the knee pads slots and moving them to the outside where the pads could be easily added/removed (necessitating impact knee pads instead of neoprene inserts). Otherwise with all the pockets, rings, snaps, and flexibility, the Xpedition pants don’t hedge back anything on functionality.
- Weight – Good (4/5): The weight of each pant varies depending on size due to mass of material used in different waistline and inseam measurements. In this case, the featured pants were a 38” waist and 36” inseam that weighed 1.7 pounds. The use of both a polyester/cotton blend, with elastic accents, allow the Xpedition pants to reduce the weight of the tactical pants while retaining its greater functionality.
Overall Rating – Very Good (22/25)
Product Link: https://www.truspec.com/24-7-series/pants/men-s-24-7-xpedition-pants
I am reviewing this product as a courtesy to the manufacturer and via STL Shooting Enthusiasts, so that I can evaluate it and provide my honest feedback. I am not bound by any written, verbal, or implied contract to give positive reviews. All views are my own, and based off my personal experience with the product.
The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author. The views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the administrative staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.