Range bags come in a variety of configurations and designs, but good ones fill a variety of different roles not limited to just carting around your firearm and ammo. Enter the Hybrid Range/Patrol Bag (PB10) by Lightning X, a multi-use bag that would be just as comfortable on the range as it would in a patrol car, or your personal vehicle. With innumerable ways to configure it, the bag will fit whatever purpose you need it to.
From the front, the PB10 features two “horseshoe” pockets with a nylon snap-clip and key hook on the exterior. Behind those pockets is an accessory compartment secured with an oversized 2″ zipper. The accessory pocket itself features three standard, double-stack covered magazine sleeves and two rows of three, elastic pen sleeves. As an added bonus, the back of the front accessory flap features a rubberized coating and excess material at the zipper that can double as a small workspace and ensure parts or bullets don’t roll away. Adjacent to that on the exterior is an elastic mesh pocket in front of a pocket sleeve intended for radios or other accessories.
Both sides of the PB10’s exterior feature large 10″ x 10″ accessory pockets that are zipper secured. However, while both sides features a re-enforced leather-wrapped drag handle, one side also features an identification card window.
The rear of the RPB has a 16″ zipper-secured “stash” pocket perfect for targets, papers, or other documents. On top of which are two hook-and-loop tabs intended to secure flashlights, batons, or other accessories. The main interior pocket is accessed via an oversized zipper enclosure from the top, while the overall ergonomic shoulder strap is anchored via spring-loaded clips to either end of the PB10’s top.
The bag can also be carried by two re-enforced handles that can be secured together via a hook-and-loop sleeve. Lastly, not to be outdone, the bottom of the PB10 features a 2″ double nylon/PVC cover that not only adds to water resistance, but abrasion protection.
Moving to the interior, the PB10 features a fully customizable, and removable, padded divider. On the interior of the access flap are four pen/pencil sleeves and two smaller utility pockets secured via zippers.
Additional PB10 Specifications
- All straps and compartments are heavily reinforced with thick stitching and bar tacs so you can depend on it to carry a heavy load of gear
- All compartments can be locked due to double zippers which feature cordage zipper pulls
- Dimensions – 20″(L) x 10″(W) x 10″(H)
- Made from 600D nylon
Product Evaluation Scores:
- Cost – Good (4/5): At $54.90 the PB10 is relatively inexpensive in comparison to other dual-use range/duty bags on the market, such as from 5.11, Galls, or Blackhawk. Then considering its overall size, the added poly covering, you’re getting a lot of 600D material for the cost.
- Comfort – Good (4/5): Fully loaded, the PB10’s ergonomic shoulder strap is also thickly padded, thus making it comfortable to carry over-the-shoulder. The top-carry straps, once combined, also provide a thick and padded handle by which to carry it.
- Durability – Average (3/5): Overall the PB10 has sufficient re-enforced stitching in key areas, and bartac stitching in high stress points that will improve overall strength. But key questions remain on the source/quality of the overall material, such as the plastic lining inside the pockets and brand of zippers, that directly relate to its long-term durability.
- Functionality – Good (4/5): Pockets galore! There are so many pockets and options to PB10 that it can be fully customized to whatever your intended purpose is. The removable interior dividers help ensure not only organization, but that items inside are well protected. The only negative would be that it would be advisable if handles were added to the divider shell to make removal or insertion easier. Additionally, it would be advisable to add a plastic shell or sheets to the main interior pocket to keep the bag’s overall form from collapsing due to added weight.
- Weight – Good (4/5): At 3.1 pounds (empty) the PB10 is relatively light and comparable to other bags of similar design. The mitigating factor is the more items you add, the heavier the bag becomes, and the less “square” the bag is when carried.
Overall Rating – Above Average (19/25)
Product Link: https://gearbags.com/shop/tactical/lxpb10/
I am reviewing this product as a courtesy to the manufacturer and via STL Shooting Enthusiasts, so that I can evaluate it and provide my honest feedback. I am not bound by any written, verbal, or implied contract to give positive reviews. All views are my own, and based off my personal experience with the product.
The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the author. The views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the administrative staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.